THE FRANCIS’ FAMILY LEGACY- LLOYD FRANCIS- OTTAWA BOY
Lloyd Francis (March 19, 1920 – January 20, 2007) was a Canadian politician and a Speaker of the House of Commons of Canada.
On the conclusion of his term as Speaker, Francis was appointed to the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada. In late 1984, the new Prime Minister of Canada, Brian Mulroney, appointed Francis to the position of Ambassador to Portugal. Francis returned to Ottawa at the conclusion of his appointment in 1987.
In 1956, Francis and partner, lawyer Donald Sim, carrying on business as Lynhar Developments, acquired and laid out the Stinson Avenue area of Bells Corners in Nepean. They quickly formed a partnership with William Teron, T.F.S. Lands, to build the houses in Lynwood Village.
The Lynwood Plaza at Bells Corners was built by Francis and Sim’s Lynhar Developments and included what would become the landmark Robinson IGA.
In 1989, Donald Francis (Lloyd’s son) and his wife Helene opened Thorncliffe Place Retirement Residence, following Lloyd’s commitment to serve the Ottawa Community.
To learn more about Lloyd and purchase his autobiography, Ottawa Boy, click the button below.